Frequently Asked Questions at Away Car Rental in Iceland
This section is a useful source to find answers for any questions you may have about the service we provide, whether it's a booking query, making special requests or an explanation of our offers:
Time of booking:
What do I need to have?
- A valid credit card
- A valid driver’s license (also for additional driver)
How old must I be to rent a car?
- Renters must be at least 20 years old to rent most of our cars. For large 4x4 vehicles drivers must be at least 23 years old.
How do I pay for the rental car?
- We only allow booking with credit cards. Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Union Pay, Discovery, Diners Club and JCB are all accepted.
What‘s included in the rental?
- Unlimited mileage
- 24% VAT
- Theft protection (TP)
- Collision Damage Waiver
Are all driver‘s licenses accepted?
- We accept all foreign driver‘s licenses as long as they are valid and are in English or with Latin characters. If you do not have a license with Latin characters you need to bring an International Driver‘s License/Translation.
Is there a minimum rental period?
- Our minimum rental period is 2 days (48 hours). You can always return the vehicle sooner but you always pay for 2 days.
Can I change/cancel/modify the booking after I receive the confirmation?
- If you need to change/cancel/modify your booking all you need to do is send us an e-mail and we will take care of it. The e-mail is email@example.com
Can I change/cancel/modify my booking after I pick up the car?
- If you need to change/modify you booking after you picked up the car all you have to do is call us or e-mail us. Phone no: +354 517 2122 and e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- You can return the car prior to your scheduled drop of date but we don’t offer any refunds for unused time. The cancelation/change has to be made prior to pick up.
What is you cancelation policy?
- Cancel more than a week prior to the pick up date and get a full refund.
- Cancel less than a week prior to the pick up date and get an 80% refund.
- No refund if cancelled less than 2 days (48 hours) prior to the pick up date. Same applies to no-show.
The cars and the extras:
How much luggage will I fit in my rental car?
- This depends on the car you rented. Usually our smallest options will hold 2-3 medium sized bags, our medium option will hold around 3-4 medium bags and the larger options will hold 4-5 bags. This always depends on the size and shape of the baggage and we make no guarantees regarding baggage in the car. If your luggage won’t fit in the car you rented we will of course try to accommodate you with a larger car.
Do you have studded winter tires?
- All of our cars will be equipped with studded winter tires from 1st of November until 15th of April.
Do the cars have heated seats?
- All our cars are equipped with heated seats – a must for winter time.
Do the cars have AUX/USB/Bluetooth?
- All our cars are new and are equipped with the latest technology. This may vary from one type to another.
Will I get the car I booked?
- We will do our very best to have the car you chose ready when you arrive. If for some reason that car is not available we will try to get you a similar model or a model from a higher category.
Away Car Rental in Iceland:
Where are you located?
- We are located in the beautiful town of Hafnarfjörður. This town is part of the greater capital area surrounding Reykjavík. The address is Melabraut 17, 220 Hafnafjörður.
When are you open?
- Our offices are open from 10am-4pm, Monday through Friday.
- We offer pick-up/drop-off to Keflavik International Airport and the Reykjavik area, all day, every day.
Can I reach you before or after office hours?
- We are available 24/7 for our customers in case of an emergency or break down. For inquiries and bookings we are open from 10am - 4pm weekdays and our call center is open from 8am - 6pm all week.
Do you have emergency break-down service?
- We are available 24/7 for our customers. The number is +354 670 2122
- If the damage or break-down is caused by the Lessor we charge a fee from our price list. If this is caused by Away Car Rental the fee will not be charged.
- We may not be able to get to you right away but we will do everything in our power to get a new car or assistance to your location as soon as possible.
Pick-up at Keflavik International Airport:
- We will have the car ready for you once you clear customs. No waiting in line.
Where will I find you at Keflavik International Airport for my pick-up?
- Once you clear customs we will be waiting with a sign with our logo.
Pick-up in Reykjavik (Capital area)?
- We will bring the car to the location you chose within the greater Reykjavik area. Just remember to fill out the correct time of pick-up and add the address of your accommodation in the collections notes field when booking your car. You can always change/modify or let us know by e-mail. email@example.com
Drop-off at Keflavik International Airport:
- When you pick-up the car we will give you further details about returning the car. We will meet you at the airport and collect the car. Easy and simple.
- The following does not apply when damages are not caused by the renter.
- We charge a 2.900 ISK handling fee for any tickets and fines that Away Car Rental needs to pay for the renter. We will charge the amount of the fine plus the handling fee to the creditcard attached to the booking.
- We recommend that people don’t waste their time with cleaning the car on the outside. We know that the car can get dirty, especially when you’re having fun! We do however charge a 10.000 ISK cleaning fee if the car is returned extra-dirty on the inside.
- We don’t allow smoking in our cars and we ask our customers to respect that. If smoking occurs inside the vehicle we will charge a 30.000 ISK fee.
- If the car needs to picked up outside the capital area we charge 200 ISK per km (To your location and back). However we never charge less than 30.000 ISK.
- If the car is not returned with a full tank of gasoline/diesel we will charge for the car to be filled up as well as a 2.000 ISK fee.
Terms and Conditions
- Please read our Terms and Conditions carefully. If you do not understand any part or need some extra details, please feel free to call or email us and we will be happy to assist you. READ